Throughout her 20 years in the fashion industry, renowned stylist and SELF magazine fashion director, Evyan Metzner, has worked with some of the most influential celebrities and photographers in the world. From Beyonce and Gwyneth Paltrow, to Annie Leibovitz and Patrick Demarchelier, Metzner helps both the subjects and shooters shine in major advertising campaigns by adding a fresh fashion perspective that is both timeless and fashion forward.
Estee Lauder, Lancome, and Victoria’s Secret are just a few of the campaigns Metzner has worked on, and although she loves working with top brands and stars, we love that she also champions the everyday woman. For SELF, she helps real women shop and explore new trends that they wouldn’t necessarily try on their own, which is why she loves wonderMode’s mission to bring local and emerging talent to the stylish masses. Here, Metzner chats with us about her rich history and selects her favorite pieces from our store.
You’ve styled some of the biggest names in music and film. Who have been some of your favorite celebrities to work with?
Definitely Beyonce, Fergie, and Gwyneth Paltrow. My favorite quality about these three ladies is that they’re all very comfortable in their own skin. I respect people that are confident but real, no matter who they are. I love that when Beyonce came in, she looked you in the eye and smiled and made you feel like you were the most important person in the room. I also loved how relaxed Gwyneth was. She was so relaxed and easy and very down to earth. Plus, she’s very funny. I was surprised to see how funny she was!
What do you enjoy most about your role at SELF?
I love my role because our approach to fashion is to make it fun, exciting, and challenging, but aspirational and within everyone’s own reach. I like to show people how style is a part of life — it’s not just a fantasy. My favorite thing is when people come up to me and say that they want to look like that person they saw in a photo I’ve styled and that it made them more willing to try new things, like wearing neon.
I’ve also been able to work with some great photographers, like Annie Leibovitz, Bruce Weber, Patrick Demarchelier, Arthur Elgort, in addition to the great SELF roster that includes Chris Craymer, Ben Watts, David Gubert, and Pam Hansen. I love that I get to see how each of these individuals see things through their unique point of views.
As a fashion director and stylist, how important is it to explore fresh talent?
When styling for SELF, we try to show ways to transform your wardrobe easily. We have a good mix of price points and try to show you attainable ways to incorporate the latest trends and statement pieces with things that you may already own. We like to feature a variety of brands, both established and emerging.
What are your thoughts on wonderMode – the premier marketplace for discovering tomorrow’s fashion vanguards?
I think wonderMode provides a unique way of shopping. The e-shop has a great variety of items to choose from, and includes options that one wouldn’t find if they were shopping on their own. I think it’s great that wonderMode shoppers are ready to try new things and push boundaries while shopping trends.
Evyan’s Top WM Picks - SHOP ALL HER SELECTS HERE
1. Sari Glassman – Gaialai Turquoise Bell Necklace: I love the idea of having something you never take off. This is small and personal, and definitely something you can wear every day.
2. Johanna Konanz – Pink Capri Wallet: I always love a colored wallet because I like to be able to find it in my purse. You can never go wrong with color!
3. Polka Dot Cat – ’20s Oscar Dress: I love this dress because it’s playful, but still very classic. It’s perfect for fall, a great alternative to an LBD, and flattering on a variety of body types. I’d wear this to any holiday party.
4. Chic Jewel Couture – Rodas Earrings: These are great boho earrings that instantly add a touch of glam to your look. They’re perfect for weekend wardrobe, but chic enough to wear on a date. I’d pair them with a flowing skirt or even a flirty mini.
5. Otrera – Red Graffiti Scarf: A bold scarf is the simplest way to add a pop of color to any outfit.
6. By Smith – Madison Avenue Dress: If you are not into the traditional little black dress, this is a great option! This is a cute and simple strapless cocktail dress, but with a fun pop of hot color. I love neon and this is a great way to incorporate it into your holiday wardrobe.
7. Juliana Bass – Nikki Dress: This dress allows you to show off some skin and experiment with lots of accessories.
8. Standing Armed – Vesper Dress: You don’t always have to wear black to a party — cobalt is a big color for this season.
9. Luihon – Bell Gold Sequin Shorts: Dress shorts are extremely popular right now. They let you move freely and can be paired with a blouse or cozy sweater.”
10. By Smith – East Village Skirt: This skirt is super girly and can easily take you from the office to a holiday bash if you switch your basic pumps for a strappy heel and add a great statement necklace.
Photo of Evyan Metzner provided by SELF